Broken Hill City
Resident workers - Hours worked
40.6% of the resident workers in Broken Hill City work 40 or more hours, compared to 44.1% in New South Wales.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Broken Hill City's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Broken Hill City depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Broken Hill City||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||770||11.2||10.8||736||10.5||10.4||+34||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||588||8.5||10.4||568||8.1||9.7||+20||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||815||11.8||10.5||772||11.0||9.8||+43||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||1,432||20.8||19.1||1,300||18.5||18.2||+132||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||564||8.2||9.1||613||8.7||10.0||-49||22007|
|49 hours or more||1,148||16.6||14.9||1,293||18.4||16.4||-145||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by Broken Hill City's resident workers in 2016 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 36.3% of the resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 61.3% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 34.9% and 63.1% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers of Broken Hill City and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (16.6% compared to 14.9%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (20.8% compared to 19.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (15.7% compared to 20.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 16 hours - 24 hours (8.5% compared to 10.4%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in Broken Hill City decreased by 145 people (3.3%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers in Broken Hill City between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 49 hours or more (-145 people)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+132 people)
- 40 hours (-83 people)
- 41 hours - 48 hours (-49 people)