Broken Hill City
Local workers - Qualifications - All industries
In Broken Hill City, the workforce has a lower proportion with University qualifications compared to New South Wales.
Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|Broken Hill City - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||1,128||16.5||32.6||942||13.7||27.9||+186|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||580||8.5||11.1||479||7.0||10.5||+101|
|Certificate I and II Level||131||1.9||1.2||130||1.9||1.4||+1|
|Certificate III & IV Level||1,929||28.2||18.7||1,777||25.9||18.8||+152|
|Certificate Level, nfd||164||2.4||2.3||124||1.8||1.9||+40|
|Inadequately described or not stated||232||3.4||2.9||353||5.1||4.5||-121|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in Broken Hill City in 2016 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a higher proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 57.5% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 39.1% had no qualifications, compared with 65.9% and 31.1% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of Broken Hill City and New South Wales were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (16.5% compared to 32.6%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (28.2% compared to 18.7%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with No qualification (39.1% compared to 31.1%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (8.5% compared to 11.1%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in Broken Hill City between 2011 and 2016 were:
- No qualification (-378 local workers)
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+186 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+152 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+101 local workers)