Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Fairfield City's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Fairfield City depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 and 2021 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Fairfield City - All industries||2021||2016||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2016 - 2021|
|1 hour - 15 hours||6,498||10.2||10.8||8,284||11.5||10.8||-1,786|
|16 hours - 24 hours||6,426||10.1||10.4||7,253||10.1||10.4||-827|
|25 hours - 34 hours||5,571||8.7||10.0||7,094||9.9||10.5||-1,523|
|35 hours - 39 hours||15,591||24.4||20.4||18,582||25.8||19.1||-2,991|
|41 hours - 48 hours||3,090||4.8||7.4||5,308||7.4||9.1||-2,218|
|49 hours or more||3,996||6.3||11.5||6,993||9.7||14.9||-2,997|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by Fairfield City's resident workers in 2021 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 46.0% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 51.2% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 40.3% and 58.0% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of Fairfield City and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked None (17.0% compared to 9.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (24.4% compared to 20.4%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (15.7% compared to 18.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (6.3% compared to 11.5%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in Fairfield City decreased by 12555 people (-27.8%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in Fairfield City between2016 and 2021 were:
- None (+9,220 persons)
- 40 hours (-4,349 persons)
- 49 hours or more (-2,997 persons)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (-2,991 persons)