Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of Fairfield City's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 and 2021 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2016 - 2021|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||7,723||12.1||11.9||10,765||15.0||12.7||-3,042|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||6,287||9.8||10.6||7,240||10.1||10.4||-953|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||9,177||14.4||13.0||10,081||14.0||13.8||-904|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||8,613||13.5||6.0||8,741||12.2||6.1||-128|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,839||2.9||1.9||2,092||2.9||1.8||-253|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in Fairfield City in 2021shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (10,784 people or 16.9%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (9,177 people or 14.4%)
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (8,613 people or 13.5%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 28,574 people in total or 44.8% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, New South Wales employed 25.8% in Professionals; 13.0% in Clerical and Administrative Workers and 6.0% in Machinery Operators And Drivers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (All industries) of Fairfield City and New South Wales were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Professionals (16.9% compared to 25.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (13.5% compared to 6.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Managers (8.5% compared to 14.6%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Labourers (13.2% compared to 8.2%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in Fairfield City decreased by 8,059 between 2016 and 2021.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers between 2016 and 2021 in Fairfield City were those employed as:
- Technicians and Trades Workers (-3,042 persons)
- Labourers (-2,154 persons)
- Sales Workers (-1,340 persons)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (-953 persons)