Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 & 2021 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|Fairfield City - All industries||2021||2016||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2016 - 2021|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||16,344||28.1||38.4||12,751||22.3||32.6||+3,593|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||6,380||11.0||11.0||5,879||10.3||11.1||+501|
|Certificate I and II Level||730||1.3||1.2||710||1.2||1.2||+20|
|Certificate III & IV Level||10,030||17.3||18.1||10,492||18.4||18.7||-462|
|Certificate Level, nfd||1,221||2.1||1.9||1,253||2.2||2.3||-32|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,509||2.6||2.3||1,841||3.2||2.9||-332|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in Fairfield City in 2021 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a lower proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a higher proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 59.8% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 37.6% had no qualifications, compared with 70.7% and 27.0% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of Fairfield City and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of local workers with No qualification (37.6% compared to 27.0%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (28.1% compared to 38.4%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (17.3% compared to 18.1%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Inadequately described or not stated (2.6% compared to 2.3%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in Fairfield City between 2016 and 2021 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+3,593 local workers)
- No qualification (-2,307 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+501 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (-462 local workers)