Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which Fairfield City residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in Fairfield City, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in Fairfield City are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 and 2021 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|Fairfield City - Persons||2021||2016||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2016 - 2021|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||419||0.7||2.0||487||0.7||2.1||-68|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||478||0.7||1.0||526||0.7||0.9||-48|
|Accommodation and Food Services||3,678||5.8||6.2||4,721||6.6||7.1||-1,043|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||4,961||7.8||4.6||4,849||6.7||4.7||+112|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||767||1.2||1.8||1,046||1.5||2.2||-279|
|Financial and Insurance Services||2,996||4.7||5.3||3,056||4.3||4.9||-60|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||809||1.3||1.7||963||1.3||1.8||-154|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||3,293||5.2||8.9||3,323||4.6||8.1||-30|
|Administrative and Support Services||2,243||3.5||3.2||2,558||3.6||3.5||-315|
|Public Administration and Safety||2,668||4.2||6.1||2,757||3.8||6.0||-89|
|Education and Training||3,906||6.1||8.7||3,769||5.2||8.4||+137|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||7,356||11.5||14.4||6,728||9.4||12.5||+628|
|Arts and Recreation Services||522||0.8||1.4||785||1.1||1.5||-263|
|Industry not classified||4,947||7.8||4.6||6,159||8.6||4.7||-1,212|
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in Fairfield City in 2021shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (7,356 people or 11.5%)
- Manufacturing (7,283 people or 11.4%)
- Retail Trade (7,042 people or 11.0%)
In combination these three industries employed 21,681 people in total or 34.0% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, New South Wales employed 14.4% in Health Care and Social Assistance; 5.5% in Manufacturing and 9.0% in Retail Trade.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of Fairfield City and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Manufacturing (11.4% compared to 5.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (5.2% compared to 8.9%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Industry not classified (7.8% compared to 4.6%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Transport, Postal and Warehousing (7.8% compared to 4.6%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2016 and 2021 in Fairfield City were for those employed in:
- Construction (-2,050 resident workforce)
- Manufacturing (-1,271 resident workforce)
- Industry not classified (-1,212 resident workforce)
- Accommodation and Food Services (-1,043 resident workforce)