Imports by industry are sales of goods and services from industries located outside Gunnedah Shire Plains boundaries to resident households, businesses and other organisations within the area. Imports (domestic) includes all imports from other parts of Australia to the Region.Imports (international) includes the value of all imports to the area from outside Australia.
To get the full picture how each industry sector contributes to the regional or state economy, import data should be viewed alongside the other industry characteristics in the Industry sector analysis section.
Detailed notes about how the figures are derived can be found in the specific topic notes section.
National Economics (NIEIR) - Modelled series
- Excel full
- Word full
|Industry||$m||%||New South Wales||$m||%||New South Wales||2014/15 - 2019/20|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||11.1||1.5||4.0||15.2||1.8||5.1||-4.1|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||15.1||2.1||3.2||17.5||2.1||2.8||-2.4|
|Accommodation and Food Services||27.1||3.8||3.1||40.1||4.8||3.4||-13.0|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||34.9||4.9||7.2||41.5||5.0||7.6||-6.6|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||25.5||3.6||4.2||29.6||3.5||4.0||-4.1|
|Financial and Insurance Services||85.3||11.9||10.0||100.9||12.1||9.5||-15.6|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||5.9||0.8||0.6||2.4||0.3||0.6||+3.5|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||45.4||6.3||6.4||46.1||5.5||5.9||-0.6|
|Administrative and Support Services||5.1||0.7||1.9||9.8||1.2||1.7||-4.7|
|Public Administration and Safety||46.6||6.5||5.9||42.4||5.1||5.7||+4.2|
|Education and Training||21.8||3.0||2.8||24.3||2.9||2.8||-2.5|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||73.1||10.2||5.5||52.8||6.3||4.0||+20.3|
|Arts and Recreation Services||19.0||2.7||2.0||21.7||2.6||2.0||-2.6|
Source: National Institute of Economic and Industry Research (NIEIR) ©2021. Compiled and presented in economy.id by .id (informed decisions). Data are based on a 2016-17 price base for all years. NIEIR-ID data are inflation adjusted each year to allow direct comparison, and annual data releases adjust previous years’ figures to a new base year.Learn morePlease refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the total imports by industry sectors in Gunnedah Shire in 2018/19 shows the three largest industries were:
- Manufacturing ($204 million or 28.5%)
- Financial and Insurance Services ($85 million or 11.9%)
- Health Care and Social Assistance ($73 million or 10.2%)
In combination these three industries accounted for $362 million in total or 50.6% of the total imports by industry in the Gunnedah Shire.
In comparison, the same 3 industries in New South Wales accounted for 31.8% in Manufacturing; 10.0% in Financial and Insurance Services and 5.5% in Health Care and Social Assistance.
The major differences between total imports by industries of Gunnedah Shire and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of total imports by Health Care and Social Assistance (10.2% compared to 5.5%)
- A smaller percentage of total imports by Manufacturing (28.5% compared to 31.8%)
- A smaller percentage of total imports by Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (1.5% compared to 4.0%)
- A smaller percentage of total imports by Transport, Postal and Warehousing (4.9% compared to 7.2%)
The total total imports by industry in Gunnedah Shire decreased by $-118 million between 2014/15 and 2019/20.
The largest changes in the total imports by industries between 2014/15 and 2019/20 in Gunnedah Shire were for:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+$20 million)
- Public Administration and Safety (+$4 million)
- Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services (+$4 million)
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (-$1 million)