Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|Gunnedah Shire - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||770||15.8||32.6||635||13.1||27.9||+135|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||455||9.4||11.1||373||7.7||10.5||+82|
|Certificate I and II Level||93||1.9||1.2||105||2.2||1.4||-12|
|Certificate III & IV Level||1,214||25.0||18.7||1,113||23.0||18.8||+101|
|Certificate Level, nfd||152||3.1||2.3||107||2.2||1.9||+45|
|Inadequately described or not stated||216||4.4||2.9||228||4.7||4.5||-12|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in Gunnedah Shire in 2016 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a higher proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 55.2% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 40.4% had no qualifications, compared with 65.9% and 31.1% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of Gunnedah Shire and New South Wales were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (15.8% compared to 32.6%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with No qualification (40.4% compared to 31.1%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (25.0% compared to 18.7%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (9.4% compared to 11.1%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in Gunnedah Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- No qualification (-311 local workers)
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+135 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+101 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+82 local workers)