Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which the City of Melton residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in the City of Melton, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in the City of Melton are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|City of Melton - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Victoria||Number||%||Victoria||2011 - 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||260||0.4||2.2||158||0.3||2.1||+102|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||706||1.2||1.1||530||1.0||1.0||+176|
|Accommodation and Food Services||3,566||5.9||6.6||2,730||5.0||5.8||+836|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||6,242||10.4||4.8||5,159||9.5||4.4||+1,083|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||930||1.5||1.9||794||1.5||1.9||+136|
|Financial and Insurance Services||2,333||3.9||3.9||2,075||3.8||3.9||+258|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||838||1.4||1.6||645||1.2||1.3||+193|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||2,865||4.8||7.9||2,407||4.4||7.3||+458|
|Administrative and Support Services||2,143||3.6||3.4||1,810||3.3||3.1||+333|
|Public Administration and Safety||3,259||5.4||5.3||2,697||5.0||5.0||+562|
|Education and Training||4,206||7.0||8.6||3,076||5.7||7.6||+1,130|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||6,442||10.7||12.5||4,744||8.8||10.9||+1,698|
|Arts and Recreation Services||947||1.6||1.9||777||1.4||1.6||+170|
|Industry not classified||3,020||5.0||4.7||1,358||2.5||2.3||+1,662|
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in the City of Melton in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Retail Trade (6,554 people or 10.9%)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (6,442 people or 10.7%)
- Transport, Postal and Warehousing (6,242 people or 10.4%)
In combination these three industries employed 19,238 people in total or 32.0% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, Victoria employed 10.2% in Retail Trade; 12.5% in Health Care and Social Assistance and 4.8% in Transport, Postal and Warehousing.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of the City of Melton and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Transport, Postal and Warehousing (10.4% compared to 4.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (4.8% compared to 7.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (0.4% compared to 2.2%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Construction (10.1% compared to 8.3%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in the City of Melton were for those employed in:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+1,698 resident workforce)
- Industry not classified (+1,662 resident workforce)
- Manufacturing (-1,322 resident workforce)
- Education and Training (+1,130 resident workforce)