Occupation is a key component for evaluating the socio-economic status of the local workers and the skills required to work in each industry sector.
The occupations of the local workers in the City of Melton will be influenced by factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available in the City of Melton;
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry; and
- The working and social aspirations of the population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 & 2021 – by place of work
|Local workers occupations|
|City of Melton - All industries||2021||2016||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Victoria||Number||%||Victoria||2016 - 2021|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||5,214||13.8||12.6||3,391||13.7||13.1||+1,823|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||5,905||15.7||11.0||3,977||16.1||10.6||+1,928|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||4,078||10.8||12.4||2,881||11.7||13.3||+1,197|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||3,687||9.8||5.9||1,833||7.4||5.8||+1,854|
|Inadequately described or not stated||788||2.1||2.0||433||1.8||1.7||+355|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the jobs held by the All industries workforce in the City of Melton in 2021shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (6,382 local workers or 16.9%)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (5,905 local workers or 15.7%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (5,214 local workers or 13.8%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 17,501 people in total or 46.4% of the All industries local workers.
In comparison, Victoria employed 25.0% as Professionals; 11.0% as Community and Personal Service Workers and 12.6% as Technicians and Trades Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the workforce in the City of Melton and Victoria were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Professionals (16.9% compared to 25.0%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Community and Personal Service Workers (15.7% compared to 11.0%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Managers (9.7% compared to 14.0%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (9.8% compared to 5.9%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the workforce in the City of Melton between2016 and 2021 were those employed as:
- Professionals (+2,242 local workers)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+1,928 local workers)
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (+1,854 local workers)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (+1,823 local workers)