Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of the City of Melton's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|City of Melton||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Victoria||Number||%||Victoria||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||8,882||14.8||13.1||8,178||16.1||13.9||+704|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||6,619||11.0||10.6||4,845||9.5||9.3||+1,774|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||9,503||15.8||13.3||8,625||16.9||14.4||+878|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||6,415||10.7||5.8||5,471||10.7||6.1||+944|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,178||2.0||1.7||1,283||2.5||2.2||-105|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in the City of Melton in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (9,503 people or 15.8%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (8,882 people or 14.8%)
- Professionals (8,871 people or 14.8%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 27,256 people in total or 45.4% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, Victoria employed 13.3% in Clerical and Administrative Workers; 13.1% in Technicians and Trades Workers and 23.3% in Professionals.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (All industries) of the City of Melton and Victoria were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Professionals (14.8% compared to 23.3%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (10.7% compared to 5.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Managers (10.3% compared to 13.5%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Clerical and Administrative Workers (15.8% compared to 13.3%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in the City of Melton increased by 9,081 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in the City of Melton were those employed as:
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+1,774 persons)
- Professionals (+1,676 persons)
- Managers (+1,225 persons)
- Sales Workers (+1,180 persons)