Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of the City of Melton's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 and 2021 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|City of Melton||2021||2016||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Victoria||Number||%||Victoria||2016 - 2021|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||11,205||13.8||12.6||8,882||14.8||13.1||+2,323|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||9,727||11.9||11.0||6,619||11.0||10.6||+3,108|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||11,670||14.3||12.4||9,503||15.8||13.3||+2,167|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||9,295||11.4||5.9||6,415||10.7||5.8||+2,880|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,914||2.3||2.0||1,178||2.0||1.7||+736|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in the City of Melton in 2021shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (13,993 people or 17.2%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (11,670 people or 14.3%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (11,205 people or 13.8%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 36,868 people in total or 45.3% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, Victoria employed 25.0% in Professionals; 12.4% in Clerical and Administrative Workers and 12.6% in Technicians and Trades Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (All industries) of the City of Melton and Victoria were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Professionals (17.2% compared to 25.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (11.4% compared to 5.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Managers (10.0% compared to 14.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Clerical and Administrative Workers (14.3% compared to 12.4%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in the City of Melton increased by 21,425 between 2016 and 2021.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers between 2016 and 2021 in the City of Melton were those employed as:
- Professionals (+5,122 persons)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+3,108 persons)
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (+2,880 persons)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (+2,323 persons)