Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for City of Melville's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in City of Melville depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 and 2021 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|City of Melville - All industries||2021||2016||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Western Australia%||Number||%||Western Australia%||2016 - 2021|
|1 hour - 15 hours||7,546||14.6||11.9||7,060||15.1||11.9||+486|
|16 hours - 24 hours||5,880||11.4||10.3||5,277||11.3||9.9||+603|
|25 hours - 34 hours||5,996||11.6||11.6||4,997||10.7||10.7||+999|
|35 hours - 39 hours||8,541||16.5||18.0||7,065||15.1||17.2||+1,476|
|41 hours - 48 hours||4,706||9.1||9.2||4,297||9.2||9.5||+409|
|49 hours or more||7,330||14.2||16.3||7,172||15.4||17.3||+158|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the City of Melville's resident workers in 2021 compared to Western Australia shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 41.3% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 57.6% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 38.2% and 60.2% respectively for Western Australia.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of the City of Melville and Western Australia were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (14.6% compared to 11.9%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 16 hours - 24 hours (11.4% compared to 10.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (16.5% compared to 18.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (14.2% compared to 16.3%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in the City of Melville increased by 2540 people (9.3%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in the City of Melville between2016 and 2021 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+1,476 persons)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+999 persons)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+603 persons)
- 40 hours (+497 persons)