Occupation is a key component for evaluating the socio-economic status of the local workers and the skills required to work in each industry sector.
The occupations of the local workers in the City of Melville will be influenced by factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available in the City of Melville;
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry; and
- The working and social aspirations of the population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers occupations|
|City of Melville - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Western Australia||Number||%||Western Australia||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||4,342||10.8||16.4||4,464||13.1||16.8||-122|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||4,831||12.0||10.5||3,922||11.5||9.4||+909|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||5,300||13.2||12.9||4,939||14.5||14.3||+361|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||947||2.4||7.6||1,225||3.6||7.7||-278|
|Inadequately described or not stated||557||1.4||1.7||470||1.4||1.5||+87|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the jobs held by the All industries workforce in the City of Melville in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (12,139 local workers or 30.3%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (5,300 local workers or 13.2%)
- Sales Workers (4,966 local workers or 12.4%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 22,405 people in total or 55.9% of the All industries local workers.
In comparison, Western Australia employed 20.4% as Professionals; 12.9% as Clerical and Administrative Workers and 8.8% as Sales Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the workforce in the City of Melville and Western Australia were:
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Professionals (30.3% compared to 20.4%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (10.8% compared to 16.4%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (2.4% compared to 7.6%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Sales Workers (12.4% compared to 8.8%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the workforce in the City of Melville between 2011 and 2016 were those employed as:
- Professionals (+4,453 local workers)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+909 local workers)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (+361 local workers)
- Labourers (+293 local workers)