RDA BGLAP Region
Resident workers - Field of qualification
There are more resident workers qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies in RDA BGLAP Region than in any other field.
Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among RDA BGLAP Region's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in RDA BGLAP Region or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of RDA BGLAP Region, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|RDA BGLAP Region||2016||2011||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||South Australia%||Number||%||South Australia%||2011 to 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||612||1.9||2.1||504||1.6||1.9||+108||30000||P|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||4,162||12.8||10.9||3,936||12.6||10.9||+226||50000||P|
|Architecture and Building||1,076||3.3||3.6||945||3.0||3.3||+131||60000||P|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||946||2.9||1.9||819||2.6||1.7||+127||70000||P|
|Management and Commerce||3,403||10.5||12.9||2,896||9.3||11.4||+507||91000||P|
|Society and Culture||2,493||7.7||8.9||1,903||6.1||7.4||+590||92000||P|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||1,231||3.8||3.6||1,068||3.4||3.4||+163||94000||P|
|Mixed Field Programmes||35||0.1||0.1||6||0.0||0.1||+29||95000||P|
|Not stated or inadequately described||910||2.8||2.5||965||3.1||3.3||-55||96000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the field of qualifications in RDA BGLAP Region shows that the three largest fields the resident workers were qualified in were:
- Engineering and Related Technologies (4,162 people or 12.8%)
- Management and Commerce (3,403 people or 10.5%)
- Society and Culture (2,493 people or 7.7%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 10,058 people in total or 31.0% of the resident workers .
In comparison, South Australia employed 10.9% in Engineering and Related Technologies; 12.9% in Management and Commerce; and 8.9% in Society and Culture.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers of RDA BGLAP Region and South Australia were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies (12.8% compared to 10.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers qualified in Management and Commerce (10.5% compared to 12.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers qualified in Health (6.8% compared to 8.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers qualified in Society and Culture (7.7% compared to 8.9%)
The number of resident workers in RDA BGLAP Region increased by 1,247 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest changes in the field of qualifications held by the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in RDA BGLAP Region were for those qualified in:
- Society and Culture (+590 people)
- Management and Commerce (+507 people)
- Education (+364 people)
- Health (+313 people)