Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for RDA BGLAP Region's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in RDA BGLAP Region depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|RDA Barossa-Gawler-Light-Adelaide Plains - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||South Australia%||Number||%||South Australia%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||3,907||12.1||12.8||3,556||11.4||12.0||+351|
|16 hours - 24 hours||3,171||9.8||10.4||2,995||9.6||9.8||+176|
|25 hours - 34 hours||4,253||13.1||13.1||3,632||11.7||11.7||+621|
|35 hours - 39 hours||5,974||18.4||20.6||5,455||17.5||19.8||+519|
|41 hours - 48 hours||3,178||9.8||9.2||3,435||11.0||10.2||-257|
|49 hours or more||4,745||14.6||13.1||4,885||15.7||14.5||-140|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by RDA BGLAP Region's resident workers in 2016 compared to South Australia shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 39.0% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 59.4% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 40.1% and 58.3% respectively for South Australia.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of RDA BGLAP Region and South Australia were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (12.1% compared to 12.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (18.4% compared to 20.6%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (16.6% compared to 15.5%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (14.6% compared to 13.1%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in RDA BGLAP Region increased by 173 people (0.9%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in RDA BGLAP Region between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+621 persons)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+519 persons)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+351 persons)
- 41 hours - 48 hours (-257 persons)