Manufacturing employs more of RDA BGLAP Region's resident workforce than any other industry sector.
Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which RDA BGLAP Region residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in RDA BGLAP Region, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in RDA BGLAP Region are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|RDA BGLAP Region - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||South Australia||Number||%||South Australia||2011 - 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||2,055||6.3||4.0||1,934||5.9||3.7||+121|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||343||1.1||1.2||342||1.0||1.3||+1|
|Accommodation and Food Services||1,918||5.9||6.7||1,794||5.5||5.9||+124|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||1,613||5.0||4.1||1,504||4.6||3.9||+109|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||272||0.8||1.3||266||0.8||1.4||+6|
|Financial and Insurance Services||463||1.4||2.7||514||1.6||2.8||-51|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||356||1.1||1.3||314||1.0||1.2||+42|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||1,135||3.5||5.6||1,035||3.2||5.2||+100|
|Administrative and Support Services||1,341||4.1||3.6||1,089||3.3||3.2||+252|
|Public Administration and Safety||1,975||6.1||7.1||1,860||5.7||6.7||+115|
|Education and Training||2,583||8.0||8.6||2,222||6.8||7.5||+361|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||3,815||11.8||14.8||3,480||10.7||12.8||+335|
|Arts and Recreation Services||384||1.2||1.4||353||1.1||1.2||+31|
|Industry not classified||1,084||3.3||3.3||524||1.6||1.8||+560|
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in RDA BGLAP Region in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Manufacturing (4,664 people or 14.4%)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (3,815 people or 11.8%)
- Retail Trade (3,280 people or 10.1%)
In combination these three industries employed 11,759 people in total or 36.3% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, South Australia employed 8.0% in Manufacturing; 14.8% in Health Care and Social Assistance and 10.7% in Retail Trade.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of RDA BGLAP Region and South Australia were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Manufacturing (14.4% compared to 8.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Health Care and Social Assistance (11.8% compared to 14.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (6.3% compared to 4.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (3.5% compared to 5.6%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in RDA BGLAP Region were for those employed in:
- Manufacturing (-868 resident workforce)
- Industry not classified (+560 resident workforce)
- Education and Training (+361 resident workforce)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+335 resident workforce)