Resident workers - Field of qualification
There are more resident workers qualified in Management and Commerce in Redland City than in any other field.
Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among Redland City's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in Redland City or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of Redland City, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Queensland%||Number||%||Queensland%||2011 to 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||969||1.4||1.7||857||1.3||1.5||+112||30000||P|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||8,927||12.7||11.6||8,837||13.0||11.6||+90||50000||P|
|Architecture and Building||3,984||5.7||4.8||3,550||5.2||4.6||+434||60000||P|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||806||1.1||1.5||814||1.2||1.4||-8||70000||P|
|Management and Commerce||9,647||13.7||13.5||7,966||11.7||11.7||+1,681||91000||P|
|Society and Culture||5,294||7.5||7.9||4,032||5.9||6.6||+1,262||92000||P|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||2,789||4.0||4.0||2,498||3.7||3.7||+291||94000||P|
|Mixed Field Programmes||59||0.1||0.1||44||0.1||0.1||+15||95000||P|
|Not stated or inadequately described||1,607||2.3||2.6||2,145||3.2||3.3||-538||96000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the field of qualifications in Redland City shows that the three largest fields the resident workers were qualified in were:
- Management and Commerce (9,647 people or 13.7%)
- Engineering and Related Technologies (8,927 people or 12.7%)
- Society and Culture (5,294 people or 7.5%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 23,868 people in total or 34.0% of the resident workers .
In comparison, Queensland employed 13.5% in Management and Commerce; 11.6% in Engineering and Related Technologies; and 7.9% in Society and Culture.
The major difference between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers of Redland City and Queensland was:
- A larger percentage of resident workers qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies (12.7% compared to 11.6%)
The number of resident workers in Redland City increased by 2,210 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest changes in the field of qualifications held by the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in Redland City were for those qualified in:
- Management and Commerce (+1,681 people)
- Society and Culture (+1,262 people)
- Health (+886 people)
- Education (+584 people)