Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Redland City's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Redland City depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Redland City Council - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Queensland%||Number||%||Queensland%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||7,871||11.2||11.0||7,311||10.8||10.4||+560|
|16 hours - 24 hours||6,626||9.4||9.4||6,137||9.0||8.8||+489|
|25 hours - 34 hours||8,395||12.0||12.0||7,513||11.1||10.8||+882|
|35 hours - 39 hours||13,470||19.2||19.2||12,556||18.5||18.1||+914|
|41 hours - 48 hours||6,664||9.5||9.4||7,009||10.3||10.5||-345|
|49 hours or more||11,079||15.8||16.6||11,466||16.9||18.4||-387|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by Redland City's resident workers in 2016 compared to Queensland shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 35.8% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 62.6% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 35.8% and 62.4% respectively for Queensland.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of Redland City and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (11.2% compared to 11.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (18.1% compared to 17.2%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (15.8% compared to 16.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked Not stated (1.6% compared to 1.8%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in Redland City increased by 874 people (2.0%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in Redland City between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+914 persons)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+882 persons)
- 40 hours (+692 persons)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+560 persons)