City of Greater Shepparton
Resident workers - Field of qualification
There are more resident workers qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies in the City of Greater Shepparton than in any other field.
Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among the City of Greater Shepparton's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in the City of Greater Shepparton or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of the City of Greater Shepparton, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|City of Greater Shepparton||2016||2011||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Victoria%||Number||%||Victoria%||2011 to 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||315||1.2||2.4||272||1.0||2.2||+43||30000||P|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||2,873||10.7||10.1||2,672||10.0||10.4||+201||50000||P|
|Architecture and Building||1,091||4.0||4.6||988||3.7||4.2||+103||60000||P|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||779||2.9||1.6||730||2.7||1.5||+49||70000||P|
|Management and Commerce||2,682||9.9||15.0||2,242||8.4||13.3||+440||91000||P|
|Society and Culture||2,014||7.5||8.9||1,572||5.9||7.7||+442||92000||P|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||1,086||4.0||3.6||1,019||3.8||3.5||+67||94000||P|
|Mixed Field Programmes||26||0.1||0.1||9||0.0||0.0||+17||95000||P|
|Not stated or inadequately described||874||3.2||2.9||1,063||4.0||3.8||-189||96000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the field of qualifications in the City of Greater Shepparton shows that the three largest fields the resident workers were qualified in were:
- Engineering and Related Technologies (2,873 people or 10.7%)
- Management and Commerce (2,682 people or 9.9%)
- Health (2,314 people or 8.6%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 7,869 people in total or 29.2% of the resident workers .
In comparison, Victoria employed 10.1% in Engineering and Related Technologies; 15.0% in Management and Commerce; and 7.5% in Health.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers of the City of Greater Shepparton and Victoria were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers qualified in Management and Commerce (9.9% compared to 15.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers qualified in Information Technology (0.8% compared to 3.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers qualified in Creative Arts (0.9% compared to 3.2%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers qualified in Society and Culture (7.5% compared to 8.9%)
The number of resident workers in the City of Greater Shepparton increased by 306 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest changes in the field of qualifications held by the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in the City of Greater Shepparton were for those qualified in:
- Society and Culture (+442 people)
- Management and Commerce (+440 people)
- Health (+366 people)
- Engineering and Related Technologies (+201 people)