Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which Sunshine Coast residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in Sunshine Coast, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in Sunshine Coast are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|Sunshine Coast - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Queensland||Number||%||Queensland||2011 - 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||2,299||1.8||2.8||1,997||1.7||2.6||+302|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||1,244||1.0||1.1||1,184||1.0||1.1||+60|
|Accommodation and Food Services||10,929||8.4||7.3||9,655||8.4||6.5||+1,274|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||4,398||3.4||5.1||4,344||3.8||4.9||+54|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||1,399||1.1||1.2||1,393||1.2||1.2||+6|
|Financial and Insurance Services||3,562||2.7||2.5||3,143||2.7||2.5||+419|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||2,926||2.3||2.0||2,595||2.3||1.7||+331|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||7,278||5.6||6.3||6,669||5.8||6.1||+609|
|Administrative and Support Services||4,995||3.9||3.5||3,789||3.3||3.0||+1,206|
|Public Administration and Safety||5,479||4.2||6.6||5,155||4.5||6.3||+324|
|Education and Training||11,631||9.0||9.0||9,429||8.2||7.4||+2,202|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||19,406||15.0||13.0||15,467||13.5||11.2||+3,939|
|Arts and Recreation Services||2,404||1.9||1.6||1,778||1.6||1.3||+626|
|Industry not classified||5,730||4.4||4.3||2,587||2.3||2.2||+3,143|
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in Sunshine Coast in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (19,406 people or 15.0%)
- Construction (15,762 people or 12.2%)
- Retail Trade (14,176 people or 10.9%)
In combination these three industries employed 49,344 people in total or 38.1% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, Queensland employed 13.0% in Health Care and Social Assistance; 9.0% in Construction and 9.9% in Retail Trade.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of Sunshine Coast and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Construction (12.2% compared to 9.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Public Administration and Safety (4.2% compared to 6.6%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Health Care and Social Assistance (15.0% compared to 13.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Transport, Postal and Warehousing (3.4% compared to 5.1%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in Sunshine Coast were for those employed in:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+3,939 resident workforce)
- Industry not classified (+3,143 resident workforce)
- Construction (+2,311 resident workforce)
- Education and Training (+2,202 resident workforce)