Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 & 2021 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|Sunshine Coast - All industries||2021||2016||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Queensland||Number||%||Queensland||2016 - 2021|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||37,169||27.3||29.3||25,698||23.2||25.1||+11,471|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||17,263||12.7||11.3||13,774||12.4||10.9||+3,489|
|Certificate I and II Level||2,184||1.6||1.5||1,566||1.4||1.3||+618|
|Certificate III & IV Level||33,455||24.6||23.2||26,620||24.0||23.0||+6,835|
|Certificate Level, nfd||2,757||2.0||1.8||2,562||2.3||2.0||+195|
|Inadequately described or not stated||3,059||2.2||2.2||2,928||2.6||2.7||+131|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in Sunshine Coast in 2021 compared to Queensland shows that there was a higher proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 68.1% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 29.6% had no qualifications, compared with 67.1% and 30.7% respectively for Queensland.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of Sunshine Coast and Queensland were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (27.3% compared to 29.3%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (24.6% compared to 23.2%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (12.7% compared to 11.3%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with No qualification (29.6% compared to 30.7%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in Sunshine Coast between 2016 and 2021 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+11,471 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+6,835 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+3,489 local workers)
- No qualification (+2,679 local workers)