Hours Worked statistics shows the distribution of employment hours in Sunshine Coast across each industry sector. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in a particular industry depend on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work in the industry;
- The demands of jobs in the industry and requirement to work overtime;
- The age and family responsibilities of people working in the industry; and
- The gender profile of workers in the industry (due to family commitments, females are often more likely to work part-time).
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2021 – by place of work
|Local workers hours worked, 2021|
|Sunshine Coast - All industries||2021||2016||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Queensland%||Number||%||Queensland%||2016 - 2021|
|1 hour - 15 hours||18,126||13.3||11.1||15,278||13.8||11.0||+2,848|
|16 hours - 24 hours||15,038||11.0||9.3||12,754||11.5||9.4||+2,284|
|25 hours - 34 hours||19,484||14.3||12.0||16,487||14.9||12.0||+2,997|
|35 hours - 39 hours||25,773||18.9||20.8||19,291||17.4||19.3||+6,482|
|41 hours - 48 hours||9,673||7.1||8.4||9,107||8.2||9.4||+566|
|49 hours or more||14,661||10.8||13.6||15,487||14.0||16.4||-826|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the workforce in Sunshine Coast in 2021compared to Queensland within Sunshine Coast shows that there was a higher proportion who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion who worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 47.1% of the workforce worked part-time (34 hours or less) , and 51.2% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 39.3% and 58.9% respectively for Queensland within Sunshine Coast.
The major differences between the hours worked by the workforce in Sunshine Coast and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of local workers who worked 1 hour - 15 hours (13.3% compared to 11.1%)
- A larger percentage of local workers who worked 25 hours - 34 hours (14.3% compared to 12.0%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers who worked 35 hours - 39 hours (18.9% compared to 20.8%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers who worked 49 hours or more (10.8% compared to 13.6%)
The largest changes in the hours worked by the All industries workforce in Sunshine Coast between 2016 and 2021 were:
- None (+8,177 local workers)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+6,482 local workers)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+2,997 local workers)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+2,848 local workers)