Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Whitsunday's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Whitsunday depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Whitsunday Regional Council - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Queensland%||Number||%||Queensland%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||1,374||8.8||11.0||1,280||8.3||10.4||+94|
|16 hours - 24 hours||1,183||7.5||9.4||1,090||7.0||8.8||+93|
|25 hours - 34 hours||1,857||11.8||12.0||1,588||10.3||10.8||+269|
|35 hours - 39 hours||2,452||15.6||19.2||2,180||14.1||18.1||+272|
|41 hours - 48 hours||1,783||11.4||9.4||1,778||11.5||10.5||+5|
|49 hours or more||3,622||23.1||16.6||4,158||26.9||18.4||-536|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by Whitsunday's resident workers in 2016 compared to Queensland shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 32.0% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 65.8% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 35.8% and 62.4% respectively for Queensland.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of Whitsunday and Queensland were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (8.8% compared to 11.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (15.6% compared to 19.2%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 41 hours - 48 hours (11.4% compared to 9.4%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (23.1% compared to 16.6%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in Whitsunday decreased by 223 people (-2.1%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in Whitsunday between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 49 hours or more (-536 persons)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+272 persons)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+269 persons)
- Not stated (-95 persons)