33.0% of the resident workers (All industries) in Bellingen Shire work 40 or more hours, compared to 44.1% in New South Wales.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Bellingen Shire's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Bellingen Shire depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Bellingen Shire - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||746||15.3||10.8||719||15.1||10.4||+27|
|16 hours - 24 hours||637||13.0||10.4||647||13.6||9.7||-10|
|25 hours - 34 hours||821||16.8||10.5||718||15.0||9.8||+103|
|35 hours - 39 hours||777||15.9||19.1||716||15.0||18.2||+61|
|41 hours - 48 hours||322||6.6||9.1||335||7.0||10.0||-13|
|49 hours or more||666||13.6||14.9||702||14.7||16.4||-36|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by Bellingen Shire's resident workers in 2016 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 49.2% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 48.8% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 34.9% and 63.1% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of Bellingen Shire and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (15.3% compared to 10.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (16.8% compared to 10.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (15.9% compared to 19.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (12.7% compared to 20.0%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in Bellingen Shire decreased by 16 people (-0.7%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in Bellingen Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+103 persons)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+61 persons)
- 49 hours or more (-36 persons)
- 40 hours (-28 persons)