In Bellingen Shire, the workforce has a lower proportion with University qualifications compared to New South Wales.
Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|Bellingen Shire - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||826||23.0||32.6||671||18.5||27.9||+155|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||417||11.6||11.1||368||10.2||10.5||+49|
|Certificate I and II Level||65||1.8||1.2||58||1.6||1.4||+7|
|Certificate III & IV Level||877||24.4||18.7||908||25.1||18.8||-31|
|Certificate Level, nfd||90||2.5||2.3||71||2.0||1.9||+19|
|Inadequately described or not stated||118||3.3||2.9||145||4.0||4.5||-27|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in Bellingen Shire in 2016 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a higher proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 63.4% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 33.3% had no qualifications, compared with 65.9% and 31.1% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of Bellingen Shire and New South Wales were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (23.0% compared to 32.6%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (24.4% compared to 18.7%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with No qualification (33.3% compared to 31.1%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Certificate I and II Level (1.8% compared to 1.2%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in Bellingen Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- No qualification (-201 local workers)
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+155 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+49 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (-31 local workers)