Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 & 2021 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|Cairns - All industries||2021||2016||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Queensland||Number||%||Queensland||2016 - 2021|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||19,979||26.8||29.3||15,718||23.3||25.1||+4,261|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||9,284||12.5||11.3||8,135||12.1||10.9||+1,149|
|Certificate I and II Level||1,302||1.7||1.5||1,031||1.5||1.3||+271|
|Certificate III & IV Level||18,273||24.6||23.2||16,081||23.8||23.0||+2,192|
|Certificate Level, nfd||1,342||1.8||1.8||1,448||2.1||2.0||-106|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,803||2.4||2.2||2,151||3.2||2.7||-348|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in Cairns in 2021 compared to Queensland shows that there was a similar proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a similar proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 67.4% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 30.1% had no qualifications, compared with 67.1% and 30.7% respectively for Queensland.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of Cairns and Queensland were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (26.8% compared to 29.3%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (24.6% compared to 23.2%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (12.5% compared to 11.3%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with No qualification (30.1% compared to 30.7%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in Cairns between 2016 and 2021 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+4,261 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+2,192 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+1,149 local workers)
- No qualification (-472 local workers)