This data reveals the main modes of transport used by local workers in a particular industry to get to work. Workforce transport data for Cairns is very useful in transport planning as it informs decision-makers about the effectiveness and availability of public transport.
There are a number of reasons why people use different Modes of Transport to get to work including:
- The availability of affordable and effective public transport options between place of residence and place of work (For instance, industries located near railway stations are likely to have higher public transport use than those located away from main public transport routes);
- The number of motor vehicles available from within a household; and
- The travel distance to work, which for example, can allow people to walk or bicycle to their place of employment.
Method of Travel to Work data should be viewed in conjunction with Workers place of residence and resident place of work for a clearer picture of where people come from to work in Cairns, and Employment locations for the Destination Zones they work in and how they arrive there.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 & 2021 – by place of work
|Local workers method of travel to work|
|Cairns - All industries||2021||2016||Change|
|Main method of travel||Number||%||Queensland%||Number||%||Queensland%||2016 - 2021|
|Car, as driver||44,328||59.6||60.3||46,855||69.5||64.3||-2,527|
|Car, as passenger||3,776||5.1||4.6||4,106||6.1||5.3||-330|
|Other - multiple methods||448||0.6||0.6||1,022||1.5||1.5||-574|
|Worked at home||8,822||11.9||13.8||2,754||4.1||5.3||+6,068|
|Did not go to work||11,907||16.0||11.0||6,070||9.0||9.7||+5,837|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
In 2021, there were 814 people who caught public transport to work (train, bus, tram or ferry) in Cairns, compared with 48,946 who drove in private vehicles (car – as driver, car – as passenger, motorbike, or truck).
Analysis of the method of travel to work in Cairns in 2021 compared to the Queensland workforce within Cairns shows that 1.1% used public transport, while 65.8% used a private vehicle, compared with 3.9% and 66.3% respectively in Queensland.
The major differences between the method of travel to work of the workforce in Cairns and the Queensland workforce were:
- A larger percentage of local workers who did not go to work (16.0% compared to 11.0%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers who worked at home (11.9% compared to 13.8%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers who travelled by train (0.0% compared to 1.8%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers who travelled by bus (1.0% compared to 2.0%)
The largest changes in the method of travel to work of the workforce in Cairns between2016 and 2021 were:
- Worked at home (+6,068 local workers)
- Did not go to work (+5,837 local workers)
- Car, as driver (-2,527 local workers)
- Other - multiple methods (-574 local workers)