Resident workers - Hours worked
42.0% of the resident workers in the FNQROC work 40 or more hours, compared to 43.2% in Queensland.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for the FNQROC's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in the FNQROC depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Queensland%||Number||%||Queensland%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||11,715||10.1||11.0||11,083||9.8||10.4||+632||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||10,423||9.0||9.4||9,663||8.5||8.8||+760||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||15,517||13.4||12.0||13,203||11.7||10.8||+2,314||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||22,688||19.6||19.2||20,376||18.0||18.1||+2,312||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||10,401||9.0||9.4||10,912||9.6||10.5||-511||22007|
|49 hours or more||19,687||17.0||16.6||22,135||19.6||18.4||-2,448||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by the FNQROC's resident workers in 2016 compared to Queensland shows that there was a similar proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 36.3% of the resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 61.6% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 35.8% and 62.4% respectively for Queensland.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers of the FNQROC and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (13.4% compared to 12.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (16.0% compared to 17.2%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (10.1% compared to 11.0%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in the FNQROC decreased by 250 people (0.3%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers in the FNQROC between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 49 hours or more (-2,448 people)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+2,314 people)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+2,312 people)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+760 people)