Full-time equivalent (FTE) employment is modelled by NIEIR and takes into account differences in hours worked between industry sectors. It is a measure that allows direct comparison of employment between industries in the City of Glen Eira.
Typically, industries such as Retail Trade and Accommodation and Food Services, which employ many part-time workers, have lower FTE employment than total employment.
FTE employment is calculated directly by dividing the total hours worked in each industry by 38. By comparing the number of full-time equivalent jobs in each industry sector to a regional benchmark, you can clearly see the structure of the City of Glen Eira's economy. This can be done by directly comparing the area to its benchmark, or by using a location quotient to look at the relative size of industries.
FTE employment should be viewed in conjunction with Employment by industry (Total) and Employment by industry (Census), for a full understanding of the industry breakdown in the area. Worker productivity data shows the value of a worker in each industry to the local economy. Employment locations shows where employment is taking place in each industry sector.
National Economics (NIEIR) - Modelled series
|Full-time equivalent employment by industry sector|
|City of Glen Eira||2020/21||2015/16||Change|
|Industry||Number||%||Victoria||Number||%||Victoria||2015/16 - 2020/21|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||59||0.2||2.7||57||0.2||3.6||+2|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||33||0.1||1.4||31||0.1||1.4||+2|
|Accommodation and Food Services||1,657||4.6||4.3||2,094||6.2||5.4||-437|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||1,797||5.0||5.6||771||2.3||5.8||+1,027|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||622||1.7||2.0||620||1.8||2.3||+2|
|Financial and Insurance Services||913||2.5||4.6||769||2.3||4.2||+144|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||889||2.5||1.6||758||2.3||1.7||+131|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||3,389||9.5||10.7||3,102||9.2||9.3||+286|
|Administrative and Support Services||989||2.8||2.8||1,212||3.6||3.3||-224|
|Public Administration and Safety||1,424||4.0||6.0||1,289||3.8||5.1||+135|
|Education and Training||6,035||16.8||8.9||5,160||15.3||8.0||+875|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||7,864||21.9||12.5||6,313||18.8||11.1||+1,551|
|Arts and Recreation Services||740||2.1||1.8||883||2.6||1.8||-143|
Source: National Institute of Economic and Industry Research (NIEIR) ©2021. Compiled and presented in economy.id by .id (informed decisions). NIEIR-ID data are adjusted each year, using updated employment estimates. Each release may change previous years’ figures. Learn morePlease refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers in the City of Glen Eira in 2020/21 shows the three largest industries were:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (7,864 people or 21.9%)
- Education and Training (6,035 people or 16.8%)
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (3,389 people or 9.5%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 17,289 people in total or 48.2% of the local workers.
In comparison, Victoria employed 12.5% in Health Care and Social Assistance; 8.9% in Education and Training and 10.7% in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services.
The major differences between the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers of the City of Glen Eira and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Health Care and Social Assistance (21.9% compared to 12.5%)
- A larger percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Education and Training (16.8% compared to 8.9%)
- A smaller percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Manufacturing (2.4% compared to 8.8%)
- A smaller percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (0.2% compared to 2.7%)
The number of full-time equivalent local workers in the City of Glen Eira increased by increased by 2,200 between 2015/16 and 2020/21.
The largest changes in the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers between 2015/16 and 2020/21 in the City of Glen Eira were for those employed in:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+1,551 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Transport, Postal and Warehousing (+1,027 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Education and Training (+875 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (+286 full-time equivalent local workers)