City of Glen Eira
Resident workers - Method of travel to work - All industries
Maximising access to employment is a key objective in any economic development strategy. Understanding the modes of transport the City of Glen Eira's local resident workers use (either within or outside the local area), informs decision-makers about the effectiveness of transport modes, routes and availability of local public transport.
There are a number of reasons why people use different Modes of Transport to get to work including:
- The availability of affordable and effective public transport options between place of residence and place of work;
- The number of motor vehicles available within a household; and
- The travel distance to work, which for example, can allow people to walk or bicycle to their place of employment.
Method of Travel to Work data should be viewed in conjunction with resident place of work for a clearer picture of where working residents are employed.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 & 2021 – by place of work
|Resident workers method of travel to work|
|City of Glen Eira||2021||2016||Change|
|Main method of travel||Number||%||Victoria%||Number||%||Victoria%||2016 - 2021|
|Car, as driver||29,385||36.9||50.3||38,434||55.2||61.8||-9,049|
|Car, as passenger||1,795||2.3||3.5||2,050||2.9||4.0||-255|
|Other - multiple methods||302||0.4||0.4||784||1.1||1.2||-482|
|Worked at home||31,611||39.7||25.7||3,670||5.3||4.6||+27,941|
|Did not go to work||8,681||10.9||11.2||5,788||8.3||9.3||+2,893|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
In 2021, there were 4,944 resident workers who caught public transport to work (train, bus, tram or ferry) in the City of Glen Eira, compared with 31,563 who drove in private vehicles (car – as driver, car – as passenger, motorbike, or truck).
Analysis of the method of travel to work of the resident workers in the City of Glen Eira shows that 6.2% used public transport, while 39.6% used a private vehicle, compared with 4.4% and 54.5% respectively in Victoria.
The major differences between the method of travel to work of the resident workers in the City of Glen Eira and the Victoria workforce were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers who worked at home (39.7% compared to 25.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers who travelled by car, as driver (36.9% compared to 50.3%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers who travelled by train (5.0% compared to 2.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers who travelled by car, as passenger (2.3% compared to 3.5%)
The largest changes in the method of travel to work of the resident workers in the City of Glen Eira between 2016 and 2021 were:
- Worked at home (+27,941 resident workers)
- Train (-9,208 resident workers)
- Car, as driver (-9,049 resident workers)
- Did not go to work (+2,893 resident workers)