Occupation is a key component for evaluating the socio-economic status of the local workers and the skills required to work in each industry sector.
The occupations of the local workers in the City of Glen Eira will be influenced by factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available in the City of Glen Eira;
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry; and
- The working and social aspirations of the population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers occupations|
|City of Glen Eira - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Victoria||Number||%||Victoria||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||4,206||11.3||13.1||4,096||11.7||13.8||+110|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||5,563||15.0||10.6||4,276||12.2||9.3||+1,287|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||4,847||13.0||13.3||5,174||14.8||14.4||-327|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||753||2.0||5.8||768||2.2||6.1||-15|
|Inadequately described or not stated||537||1.4||1.7||733||2.1||2.2||-196|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the jobs held by the All industries workforce in the City of Glen Eira in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (11,115 local workers or 29.9%)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (5,563 local workers or 15.0%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (4,847 local workers or 13.0%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 21,525 people in total or 57.9% of the All industries local workers.
In comparison, Victoria employed 23.2% as Professionals; 10.6% as Community and Personal Service Workers and 13.3% as Clerical and Administrative Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the workforce in the City of Glen Eira and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Professionals (29.9% compared to 23.2%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Community and Personal Service Workers (15.0% compared to 10.6%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (2.0% compared to 5.8%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Labourers (6.4% compared to 9.0%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the workforce in the City of Glen Eira between 2011 and 2016 were those employed as:
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+1,287 local workers)
- Professionals (+776 local workers)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (-327 local workers)
- Managers (+304 local workers)