City of Glen Eira
Local workers - Occupations - All industries
Within the City of Glen Eira, the workforce has a similar proportion of Managers and Professionals compared to Victoria.
Occupation is a key component for evaluating the socio-economic status of the local workers and the skills required to work in each industry sector.
The occupations of the local workers in City of Glen Eira will be influenced by factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available in City of Glen Eira;
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry; and
- The working and social aspirations of the population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 – by place of work
Please note – The 2016 Census used a new methodology to “impute” a work location to people who didn’t state their workplace address. As a result, 2016 and 2011 place of work data are not normally comparable. To allow comparison between 2011 and 2016, .id has sourced a 2011 dataset from the ABS which was experimentally imputed using the same methodology. However this dataset is NOT available at the Local Government Area level, and had to be matched using a best fit of work destination zones (DZNs) to the current LGA boundaries. City of Glen Eira is one area for which there is no good match of 2011 DZNs to 2016 LGA boundaries, so there is no reasonable data comparison between 2011 and 2016 for this area. 2011 data has been turned off and is currently unavailable for comparison for the City of Glen Eira.
|Local workers occupations|
|City of Glen Eira - All industries||2016|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Victoria %|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||4,206||11.3||13.1||27000||P|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||5,563||15.0||10.6||28000||P|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||4,847||13.0||13.3||29000||P|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||753||2.0||5.8||31000||P|
|Inadequately described or not stated||537||1.4||1.7||33000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
An analysis of the jobs held by the workforce in City of Glen Eira in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (11,115 local workers or 29.9%)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (5,563 local workers or 15.0%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (4,847 local workers or 13.0%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 21,525 people in total or 57.9% of the local workers .
In comparison, Victoria employed 23.2% as Professionals; 10.6% as Community and Personal Service Workers; and 13.3% as Clerical and Administrative Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the workforce in the City of Glen Eira and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Professionals (29.9% compared to 23.2%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Community and Personal Service Workers (15.0% compared to 10.6%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (2.0% compared to 5.8%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Labourers (6.4% compared to 9.0%)