75.2% of the resident workers (All industries) in the City of Glen Eira have qualifications, compared to 65.7% for Victoria.
Education is an essential means of building the knowledge and skill levels of the labour force, which is a key factor in achieving future economic and social development.
The level of educational attainment for the City of Glen Eira's resident workforce relates to a number of factors including:
- The age structure of the resident workforce;
- The professional or social ambitions of people to obtain qualifications (that is, to seek education and retraining);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling, and;
- The knowledge and skill requirements of the local industries.
Qualification should be looked at in conjunction with Income , Occupations and Field of qualification for a clearer picture of the knowledge and skill level of the City of Glen Eira's local resident workers.
When comparing the Qualifications of local resident worker with local workers, Qualifications statistics indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers qualifications|
|City of Glen Eira - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Victoria||Number||%||Victoria||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||36,420||52.3||33.3||31,086||47.1||28.6||+5,334|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||7,749||11.1||11.5||7,672||11.6||10.4||+77|
|Certificate I and II Level||390||0.6||1.0||404||0.6||1.1||-14|
|Certificate III & IV Level||6,815||9.8||18.1||6,692||10.1||17.9||+123|
|Certificate Level, nfd||1,007||1.4||1.8||903||1.4||1.5||+104|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,728||2.5||2.8||2,317||3.5||4.0||-589|
Analysis of the qualifications of the resident workers (All industries) in the City of Glen Eira in 2016 compared to Victoria shows that there was a higher proportion of resident holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion of males with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 75.2% of the resident workers (All industries) held educational qualifications, and 22.3% had no qualifications, compared with 65.7% and 31.5% respectively for Victoria.
The major differences between qualifications held by the resident workers (All industries) of the City of Glen Eira and (Victoria) were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) with Bachelor or Higher degree (52.3% compared to 33.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) with No qualification (22.3% compared to 31.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) with Certificate III & IV Level (9.8% compared to 18.1%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the resident workers (All industries) in the City of Glen Eira between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+5,334 persons)
- No qualification (-1,454 persons)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+123 persons)
- Certificate Level, nfd (+104 persons)