In Hornsby Shire, Health Care and Social Assistance is the largest employer, generating 6,999 FTE jobs in 2018/19.
Full-time equivalent (FTE) employment is modelled by NIEIR and takes into account differences in hours worked between industry sectors. It is a measure that allows direct comparison of employment between industries in Hornsby Shire.
Typically, industries such as Retail Trade and Accommodation and Food Services, which employ many part-time workers, have lower FTE employment than total employment.
FTE employment is calculated directly by dividing the total hours worked in each industry by 38. By comparing the number of full-time equivalent jobs in each industry sector to a regional benchmark, you can clearly see the structure of Hornsby Shire's economy. This can be done by directly comparing the area to its benchmark, or by using a location quotient to look at the relative size of industries.
FTE employment should be viewed in conjunction with Employment by industry (Total) and Employment by industry (Census), for a full understanding of the industry breakdown in the area. Worker productivity data shows the value of a worker in each industry to the local economy. Employment locations shows where employment is taking place in each industry sector.
National Economics (NIEIR) - Modelled series
|Full-time equivalent employment by industry sector|
|Industry||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2013/14 - 2018/19|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||495||1.3||2.5||551||1.5||3.0||-56|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||233||0.6||1.1||273||0.7||1.3||-40|
|Accommodation and Food Services||2,112||5.4||5.8||2,396||6.3||6.0||-284|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||1,627||4.1||5.9||1,607||4.3||5.8||+20|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||715||1.8||2.3||589||1.6||2.5||+126|
|Financial and Insurance Services||892||2.3||5.3||835||2.2||5.5||+57|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||587||1.5||1.9||648||1.7||2.0||-61|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||3,301||8.4||10.8||2,978||7.9||9.1||+324|
|Administrative and Support Services||1,007||2.6||3.0||990||2.6||3.0||+17|
|Public Administration and Safety||1,164||3.0||5.6||1,151||3.0||5.8||+13|
|Education and Training||5,038||12.8||7.4||4,548||12.0||7.2||+490|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||6,999||17.8||11.6||5,922||15.7||10.7||+1,077|
|Arts and Recreation Services||719||1.8||1.5||458||1.2||1.4||+261|
Source: National Institute of Economic and Industry Research (NIEIR) ©2019. Compiled and presented in economy.id by .id informed decisions. NIEIR-ID data are adjusted each year, using updated employment estimates. Each release may change previous years’ figures. Learn morePlease refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers in Hornsby Shire in 2018/19 shows the three largest industries were:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (6,999 people or 17.8%)
- Education and Training (5,038 people or 12.8%)
- Retail Trade (4,649 people or 11.8%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 16,686 people in total or 42.4% of the local workers.
In comparison, New South Wales employed 11.6% in Health Care and Social Assistance; 7.4% in Education and Training and 8.5% in Retail Trade.
The major differences between the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers of Hornsby Shire and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Health Care and Social Assistance (17.8% compared to 11.6%)
- A larger percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Education and Training (12.8% compared to 7.4%)
- A larger percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Retail Trade (11.8% compared to 8.5%)
- A smaller percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Financial and Insurance Services (2.3% compared to 5.3%)
The number of full-time equivalent local workers in Hornsby Shire increased by increased by 1,564 between 2013/14 and 2018/19.
The largest changes in the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers between 2013/14 and 2018/19 in Hornsby Shire were for those employed in:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+1,077 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Education and Training (+490 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (+324 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Arts and Recreation Services (+261 full-time equivalent local workers)