Hours Worked statistics shows the distribution of employment hours in Hornsby Shire across each industry sector. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in a particular industry depend on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work in the industry;
- The demands of jobs in the industry and requirement to work overtime;
- The age and family responsibilities of people working in the industry; and
- The gender profile of workers in the industry (due to family commitments, females are often more likely to work part-time).
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers hours worked, 2016|
|Hornsby Shire - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||6,517||15.4||10.8||6,402||15.9||10.5||+115|
|16 hours - 24 hours||5,560||13.1||10.5||4,984||12.3||9.8||+576|
|25 hours - 34 hours||4,790||11.3||10.5||4,382||10.9||9.9||+408|
|35 hours - 39 hours||6,973||16.5||19.1||6,047||15.0||18.3||+926|
|41 hours - 48 hours||3,305||7.8||9.1||3,489||8.6||10.1||-184|
|49 hours or more||5,612||13.3||14.9||5,869||14.5||16.6||-257|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the workforce in Hornsby Shire in 2016 compared to New South Wales within Hornsby Shire shows that there was a higher proportion who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion who worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 42.8% of the workforce worked part-time (34 hours or less) , and 55.5% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 34.9% and 63.1% respectively for New South Wales within Hornsby Shire.
The major differences between the hours worked by the workforce in Hornsby Shire and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of local workers who worked 1 hour - 15 hours (15.4% compared to 10.8%)
- A larger percentage of local workers who worked 16 hours - 24 hours (13.1% compared to 10.5%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers who worked 35 hours - 39 hours (16.5% compared to 19.1%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers who worked 40 hours (18.0% compared to 20.0%)
The largest changes in the hours worked by the All industries workforce in Hornsby Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+926 local workers)
- 40 hours (+683 local workers)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+576 local workers)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+408 local workers)