Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which the Logan City residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in the Logan City, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in the Logan City are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|Logan City - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Queensland||Number||%||Queensland||2011 - 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||1,132||0.9||2.8||786||0.6||2.6||+346|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||1,271||1.0||1.1||1,321||1.0||1.1||-50|
|Accommodation and Food Services||7,010||5.3||7.3||6,537||4.8||6.5||+473|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||9,756||7.4||5.1||9,178||6.7||4.9||+578|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||1,357||1.0||1.2||1,302||0.9||1.2||+55|
|Financial and Insurance Services||2,918||2.2||2.5||3,046||2.2||2.5||-128|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||2,319||1.8||2.0||1,880||1.4||1.7||+439|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||5,827||4.4||6.3||5,824||4.2||6.1||+3|
|Administrative and Support Services||4,842||3.7||3.5||4,384||3.2||3.0||+458|
|Public Administration and Safety||6,861||5.2||6.6||6,760||4.9||6.3||+101|
|Education and Training||9,903||7.5||9.0||8,174||6.0||7.4||+1,729|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||15,178||11.5||13.0||13,461||9.8||11.2||+1,717|
|Arts and Recreation Services||1,552||1.2||1.6||1,395||1.0||1.3||+157|
|Industry not classified||7,567||5.7||4.3||3,685||2.7||2.2||+3,882|
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in the Logan City in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Construction (15,784 people or 12.0%)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (15,178 people or 11.5%)
- Retail Trade (13,864 people or 10.5%)
In combination these three industries employed 44,826 people in total or 34.0% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, Queensland employed 9.0% in Construction; 13.0% in Health Care and Social Assistance and 9.9% in Retail Trade.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of the Logan City and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Manufacturing (9.7% compared to 6.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Construction (12.0% compared to 9.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Transport, Postal and Warehousing (7.4% compared to 5.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Accommodation and Food Services (5.3% compared to 7.3%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in the Logan City were for those employed in:
- Manufacturing (-4,470 resident workforce)
- Industry not classified (+3,882 resident workforce)
- Education and Training (+1,729 resident workforce)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+1,717 resident workforce)