City of Playford
Resident workers - Method of travel to work - All industries
Within the City of Playford, there is a lower proportion of resident All industries workers using public transport to get to work than the South Australia workforce.
Maximising access to employment is a key objective in any economic development strategy. Understanding the modes of transport the City of Playford's local resident workers use (either within or outside the local area), informs decision-makers about the effectiveness of transport modes, routes and availability of local public transport.
There are a number of reasons why people use different Modes of Transport to get to work including:
- The availability of affordable and effective public transport options between place of residence and place of work;
- The number of motor vehicles available within a household; and
- The travel distance to work, which for example, can allow people to walk or bicycle to their place of employment.
Method of Travel to Work data should be viewed in conjunction with resident place of work for a clearer picture of where working residents are employed.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Resident workers method of travel to work|
|City of Playford||2016||2011||Change|
|Main method of travel||Number||%||South Australia%||Number||%||South Australia%||2011 - 2016|
|Car, as driver||23,376||71.6||66.0||20,765||67.9||63.8||+2,611|
|Car, as passenger||1,611||4.9||4.6||1,937||6.3||5.3||-326|
|Other - multiple methods||398||1.2||1.5||328||1.1||1.5||+70|
|Worked at home||781||2.4||4.4||696||2.3||4.2||+85|
|Did not go to work||3,324||10.2||10.7||3,337||10.9||11.4||-13|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
In 2016, there were 1,890 resident workers who caught public transport to work (train, bus, tram or ferry) in the City of Playford, compared with 25,373 who drove in private vehicles (car – as driver, car – as passenger, motorbike, or truck).
Analysis of the method of travel to work of the resident workers in the City of Playford shows that 5.8% used public transport, while 77.7% used a private vehicle, compared with 7.0% and 71.6% respectively in South Australia.
The major differences between the method of travel to work of the resident workers in the City of Playford and the South Australia workforce were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers who travelled by car, as driver (71.6% compared to 66.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers who travelled by bus (1.9% compared to 4.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers who worked at home (2.4% compared to 4.4%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers who travelled by train (3.8% compared to 1.9%)
The largest changes in the method of travel to work of the resident workers in the City of Playford between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Car, as driver (+2,611 resident workers)
- Car, as passenger (-326 resident workers)
- Truck (-132 resident workers)
- Train (+122 resident workers)