Exports by industry are sales of goods and services to non-resident households, businesses and other organisations, outside Greater Sydney boundaries. Exports (domestic) include all exports from the area to other parts of Australia. Exports (international) includes all exports from the Region to countries outside Australia.
To get the full picture how each industry sector contributes to the regional or state economy, export data should be viewed alongside the other industry characteristics in the Industry sector analysis section.
Detailed notes about how the figures are derived can be found in the specific topic notes section.
National Economics (NIEIR) - Modelled series
|Total exports by industry sector|
|Industry||$m||%||New South Wales||$m||%||New South Wales||2014/15 - 2019/20|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||694.0||0.2||3.1||832.4||0.3||4.6||-138.5|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||7,750.1||2.3||2.9||6,410.5||2.3||2.9||+1,339.5|
|Accommodation and Food Services||8,778.2||2.6||2.8||7,530.9||2.7||2.9||+1,247.3|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||33,923.0||10.0||8.9||25,707.1||9.2||8.3||+8,215.8|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||26,320.5||7.8||6.1||18,682.8||6.7||5.0||+7,637.7|
|Financial and Insurance Services||70,652.3||20.9||16.1||60,821.0||21.8||16.1||+9,831.3|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||4,543.8||1.3||1.3||2,299.3||0.8||0.8||+2,244.6|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||40,778.3||12.1||9.7||29,829.7||10.7||8.3||+10,948.6|
|Administrative and Support Services||10,388.2||3.1||2.7||9,899.1||3.5||3.2||+489.2|
|Public Administration and Safety||12,841.1||3.8||3.9||12,563.8||4.5||4.4||+277.3|
|Education and Training||12,476.7||3.7||3.8||10,168.9||3.6||3.6||+2,307.8|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||12,400.1||3.7||3.9||8,986.1||3.2||3.2||+3,414.0|
|Arts and Recreation Services||5,050.3||1.5||1.3||4,562.0||1.6||1.3||+488.3|
Source: National Institute of Economic and Industry Research (NIEIR) ©2021. Compiled and presented in economy.id by .id informed decisions. Data are based on a 2016-17 price base for all years. NIEIR-ID data are inflation adjusted each year to allow direct comparison, and annual data releases adjust previous years’ figures to a new base year.Learn morePlease refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the total exports by industry sectors in Greater Sydney in 2018/19 shows the three largest industries were:
- Financial and Insurance Services (70,652 million or 20.9%)
- Manufacturing (51,357 million or 15.2%)
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (40,778 million or 12.1%)
In combination these three industries accounted for 162,788 million in total or 48.1% of the total exports by industry in the Greater Sydney.
In comparison, the same 3 industries in New South Wales accounted for 16.1% in Financial and Insurance Services; 16.6% in Manufacturing and 9.7% in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services.
The major differences between the total exports by industries of Greater Sydney and New South Wales were:
- A smaller percentage of total exports by Mining (0.8% compared to 7.0%)
- A larger percentage of total exports by Financial and Insurance Services (20.9% compared to 16.1%)
- A smaller percentage of total exports by Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (0.2% compared to 3.1%)
- A larger percentage of total exports by Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (12.1% compared to 9.7%)
The total total exports by industry in Greater Sydney $increased by 59,385 million between 2014/15 and 2019/20.
The largest changes in the total exports by industries between 2014/15 and 2019/20 in Greater Sydney were for:
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (+$10,949 million)
- Financial and Insurance Services (+$9,831 million)
- Transport, Postal and Warehousing (+$8,216 million)
- Information Media and Telecommunications (+$7,638 million)