Full-time equivalent (FTE) employment is modelled by NIEIR and takes into account differences in hours worked between industry sectors. It is a measure that allows direct comparison of employment between industries in the City of Stonnington.
Typically, industries such as Retail Trade and Accommodation and Food Services, which employ many part-time workers, have lower FTE employment than total employment.
FTE employment is calculated directly by dividing the total hours worked in each industry by 38. By comparing the number of full-time equivalent jobs in each industry sector to a regional benchmark, you can clearly see the structure of the City of Stonnington's economy. This can be done by directly comparing the area to its benchmark, or by using a location quotient to look at the relative size of industries.
FTE employment should be viewed in conjunction with Employment by industry (Total) and Employment by industry (Census), for a full understanding of the industry breakdown in the area. Worker productivity data shows the value of a worker in each industry to the local economy. Employment locations shows where employment is taking place in each industry sector.
National Economics (NIEIR) - Modelled series
|Full-time equivalent employment by industry sector|
|City of Stonnington||2020/21||2015/16||Change|
|Industry||Number||%||Victoria||Number||%||Victoria||2015/16 - 2020/21|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||64||0.1||2.7||95||0.2||3.6||-31|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||120||0.2||1.4||112||0.2||1.4||+8|
|Accommodation and Food Services||4,129||7.5||4.3||4,956||9.5||5.4||-827|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||827||1.5||5.6||579||1.1||5.8||+248|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||1,612||2.9||2.0||1,877||3.6||2.3||-264|
|Financial and Insurance Services||1,588||2.9||4.6||1,440||2.8||4.2||+149|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||1,876||3.4||1.6||1,952||3.8||1.7||-76|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||8,119||14.8||10.7||7,488||14.4||9.3||+632|
|Administrative and Support Services||1,647||3.0||2.8||2,083||4.0||3.3||-436|
|Public Administration and Safety||1,176||2.1||6.0||1,127||2.2||5.1||+49|
|Education and Training||4,169||7.6||8.9||3,772||7.3||8.0||+397|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||10,454||19.0||12.5||7,820||15.0||11.1||+2,634|
|Arts and Recreation Services||1,274||2.3||1.8||789||1.5||1.8||+486|
Source: National Institute of Economic and Industry Research (NIEIR) ©2021. Compiled and presented in economy.id by .id (informed decisions). NIEIR-ID data are adjusted each year, using updated employment estimates. Each release may change previous years’ figures. Learn morePlease refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers in the City of Stonnington in 2020/21 shows the three largest industries were:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (10,454 people or 19.0%)
- Retail Trade (10,279 people or 18.7%)
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (8,119 people or 14.8%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 28,852 people in total or 52.4% of the local workers.
In comparison, Victoria employed 12.5% in Health Care and Social Assistance; 8.6% in Retail Trade and 10.7% in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services.
The major differences between the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers of the City of Stonnington and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Retail Trade (18.7% compared to 8.6%)
- A smaller percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Manufacturing (1.5% compared to 8.8%)
- A larger percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Health Care and Social Assistance (19.0% compared to 12.5%)
- A larger percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (14.8% compared to 10.7%)
The number of full-time equivalent local workers in the City of Stonnington increased by increased by 3,038 between 2015/16 and 2020/21.
The largest changes in the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers between 2015/16 and 2020/21 in the City of Stonnington were for those employed in:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+2,634 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Retail Trade (+1,484 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (+632 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Arts and Recreation Services (+486 full-time equivalent local workers)