City of Stonnington
Resident workers - Occupations of employment
There are more resident workers professionals in the City of Stonnington than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of City of Stonnington's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|City of Stonnington||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Victoria%||Number||%||Victoria%||2011 to 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||3,433||6.1||13.1||3,229||6.3||13.9||+204||27000||P|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||4,552||8.1||10.6||3,854||7.6||9.3||+698||28000||P|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||6,969||12.3||13.3||6,895||13.5||14.4||+74||29000||P|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||605||1.1||5.8||616||1.2||6.1||-11||31000||P|
|Inadequately described or not stated||976||1.7||1.7||1,157||2.3||2.2||-181||33000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in City of Stonnington in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (22,518 people or 39.8%)
- Managers (10,658 people or 18.9%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (6,969 people or 12.3%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 40,145 people in total or 71.0% of the resident workers .
In comparison, Victoria employed 23.3% in Professionals; 13.5% in Managers; and 13.3% in Clerical and Administrative Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers of the City of Stonnington and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers employed as Professionals (39.8% compared to 23.3%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers employed as Managers (18.9% compared to 13.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (6.1% compared to 13.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers employed as Labourers (3.0% compared to 9.0%)
The number of people in the resident workers ] in City of Stonnington increased by 5,596 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest changes in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in the City of Stonnington were for those employed as:
- Professionals (+2,628 people)
- Managers (+1,327 people)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+698 people)
- Sales Workers (+638 people)