Occupation is a key component for evaluating the socio-economic status of the local workers and the skills required to work in each industry sector.
The occupations of the local workers in the City of Stonnington will be influenced by factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available in the City of Stonnington;
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry; and
- The working and social aspirations of the population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 & 2021 – by place of work
|Local workers occupations|
|City of Stonnington - All industries||2021||2016||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Victoria||Number||%||Victoria||2016 - 2021|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||5,707||9.4||12.6||5,841||10.6||13.1||-134|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||7,696||12.7||11.0||6,636||12.1||10.6||+1,060|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||6,507||10.7||12.4||6,367||11.6||13.3||+140|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||885||1.5||5.9||701||1.3||5.8||+184|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,065||1.8||2.0||819||1.5||1.7||+246|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the jobs held by the All industries workforce in the City of Stonnington in 2021shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (17,464 local workers or 28.7%)
- Managers (9,362 local workers or 15.4%)
- Sales Workers (8,678 local workers or 14.3%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 35,504 people in total or 58.4% of the All industries local workers.
In comparison, Victoria employed 25.0% as Professionals; 14.0% as Managers and 8.4% as Sales Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the workforce in the City of Stonnington and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Sales Workers (14.3% compared to 8.4%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (1.5% compared to 5.9%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Professionals (28.7% compared to 25.0%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (9.4% compared to 12.6%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the workforce in the City of Stonnington between2016 and 2021 were those employed as:
- Professionals (+2,493 local workers)
- Managers (+1,255 local workers)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+1,060 local workers)
- Sales Workers (+344 local workers)