City of Stonnington
Resident workers - Industry
Professional, Scientific and Technical Services employs more of the City of Stonnington’s resident workforce than any other industry sector.
Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which the City of Stonnington residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in the City of Stonnington, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in the City of Stonnington are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|City of Stonnington||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Victoria%||Number||%||Victoria%||2011 to 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||202||0.4||2.2||162||0.3||2.3||+40||25000||P|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||468||0.8||1.1||454||0.9||1.1||+14||28000||P|
|Accommodation and Food Services||3,893||6.9||6.6||3,377||6.6||6.1||+516||32000||P|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||1,284||2.3||4.8||1,085||2.1||4.7||+199||33000||P|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||1,764||3.1||1.9||1,730||3.4||2.0||+34||34000||P|
|Financial and Insurance Services||4,370||7.7||3.9||4,232||8.3||4.1||+138||35000||P|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||1,740||3.1||1.6||1,336||2.6||1.4||+404||36000||P|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||9,664||17.1||7.9||8,722||17.1||7.8||+942||37000||P|
|Administrative and Support Services||2,043||3.6||3.4||1,963||3.9||3.3||+80||38000||P|
|Public Administration and Safety||2,180||3.9||5.3||2,060||4.0||5.3||+120||39000||P|
|Education and Training||4,691||8.3||8.6||3,928||7.7||8.0||+763||40000||P|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||6,911||12.2||12.5||6,066||11.9||11.6||+845||41000||P|
|Arts and Recreation Services||1,624||2.9||1.9||1,291||2.5||1.7||+333||42000||P|
|Industry not classified||2,343||4.1||4.7||1,182||2.3||2.4||+1,161||44000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in City of Stonnington in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (9,664 people or 17.1%)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (6,911 people or 12.2%)
- Retail Trade (5,344 people or 9.5%)
In combination these three industries employed 21,919 people in total or 38.8% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, Victoria employed 7.9% in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services; 12.5% in Health Care and Social Assistance; and 10.2% in Retail Trade.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of the City of Stonnington and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (17.1% compared to 7.9%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Financial and Insurance Services (7.7% compared to 3.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Manufacturing (3.7% compared to 7.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Construction (4.3% compared to 8.3%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in the City of Stonnington were for those employed in:
- Industry not classified (+1,161 resident workforce)
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (+942 resident workforce)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+845 resident workforce)
- Education and Training (+763 resident workforce)