Local sales by industry measures the output of local industries that is sold locally. This includes sales to local consumers, businesses and other organisations.
To get the full picture how each industry sector contributes to the regional or state economy, local sales data should be viewed alongside the other industry characteristics in the Industry sector analysis section.
Detailed notes about how the figures are derived can be found in the specific topic notes section.
National Economics (NIEIR) - Modelled series
|Local sales by industry sector|
|City of Sydney - Constant prices||2020/21||2015/16||Change|
|Industry||$m||%||New South Wales||$m||%||New South Wales||2015/16 - 2020/21|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||136.5||0.1||1.6||147.0||0.1||1.5||-10.5|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||2,986.0||2.1||2.6||3,152.9||2.7||3.0||-166.8|
|Accommodation and Food Services||2,168.1||1.5||2.7||1,354.7||1.2||3.1||+813.4|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||5,109.0||3.6||4.2||4,019.8||3.5||4.5||+1,089.2|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||9,025.0||6.3||3.0||5,932.3||5.1||2.5||+3,092.7|
|Financial and Insurance Services||19,204.2||13.5||6.8||15,960.2||13.8||6.7||+3,243.9|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||43,153.1||30.3||16.5||33,758.9||29.1||17.5||+9,394.2|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||22,921.2||16.1||9.0||17,178.4||14.8||8.0||+5,742.9|
|Administrative and Support Services||6,785.3||4.8||3.5||6,030.3||5.2||4.0||+755.1|
|Public Administration and Safety||2,755.6||1.9||3.7||2,038.0||1.8||3.5||+717.6|
|Education and Training||1,492.0||1.0||3.6||1,166.4||1.0||3.7||+325.6|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||2,024.3||1.4||6.2||1,279.9||1.1||5.3||+744.4|
|Arts and Recreation Services||1,133.0||0.8||1.0||795.4||0.7||1.0||+337.6|
Source: National Institute of Economic and Industry Research (NIEIR) ©2021. Compiled and presented in economy.id by .id (informed decisions) NIEIR-ID data are adjusted each year, using updated employment estimates. .id (informed decisions). Data are based on a 2017-18 price base for all years. NIEIR-ID data are inflation adjusted each year to allow direct comparison, and annual data releases adjust previous years’ figures to a new base year.Learn more
An analysis of the local sales by industry sectors in the City of Sydney in 2020/21 shows the three largest industries were:
- Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services ($43,153million or 30.3%)
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services ($22,921million or 16.1%)
- Financial and Insurance Services ($19,204million or 13.5%)
In combination these three industries accounted for $85,279 million in total or 59.9% of the total local sales by total industry in the the City of Sydney.
In comparison, the same 3 industries in New South Wales accounted for 16.5% in Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services; 9.0% in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services and 6.8% in Financial and Insurance Services.
The major differences between local sales by industries of the City of Sydney and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of local sales by Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services (30.3% compared to 16.5%)
- A smaller percentage of local sales by Construction (8.8% compared to 18.4%)
- A larger percentage of local sales by Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (16.1% compared to 9.0%)
- A larger percentage of local sales by Financial and Insurance Services (13.5% compared to 6.8%)
The total local sales by industry in the City of Sydney $increased by 26,424 million between 2015/16 and 2020/21.
The largest changes in the local sales by industries between 2015/16 and 2020/21 in the City of Sydney were for:
- Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services (+$9,394 million)
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (+$5,743 million)
- Financial and Insurance Services (+$3,244 million)
- Information Media and Telecommunications (+$3,093 million)