Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which Clarence Valley Council area residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in Clarence Valley Council area, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in Clarence Valley Council area are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|Clarence Valley Council area - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2011 - 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||1,128||6.4||2.1||1,092||5.6||2.1||+36|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||194||1.1||0.9||248||1.3||1.0||-54|
|Accommodation and Food Services||1,620||9.2||7.1||1,561||8.0||6.3||+59|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||752||4.3||4.7||770||3.9||4.6||-18|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||156||0.9||2.2||171||0.9||2.2||-15|
|Financial and Insurance Services||218||1.2||4.9||286||1.5||4.8||-68|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||278||1.6||1.8||295||1.5||1.5||-17|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||590||3.4||8.1||583||3.0||7.4||+7|
|Administrative and Support Services||576||3.3||3.5||455||2.3||3.1||+121|
|Public Administration and Safety||1,392||7.9||6.0||1,472||7.5||5.8||-80|
|Education and Training||1,392||7.9||8.4||1,409||7.2||7.5||-17|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||2,710||15.4||12.5||2,466||12.6||10.9||+244|
|Arts and Recreation Services||223||1.3||1.5||198||1.0||1.4||+25|
|Industry not classified||680||3.9||4.7||367||1.9||2.3||+313|
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in Clarence Valley Council area in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (2,710 people or 15.4%)
- Retail Trade (2,062 people or 11.7%)
- Accommodation and Food Services (1,620 people or 9.2%)
In combination these three industries employed 6,392 people in total or 36.4% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, New South Wales employed 12.5% in Health Care and Social Assistance; 9.7% in Retail Trade and 7.1% in Accommodation and Food Services.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of Clarence Valley Council area and New South Wales were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (3.4% compared to 8.1%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (6.4% compared to 2.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Financial and Insurance Services (1.2% compared to 4.9%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Health Care and Social Assistance (15.4% compared to 12.5%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in Clarence Valley Council area were for those employed in:
- Manufacturing (-432 resident workforce)
- Industry not classified (+313 resident workforce)
- Retail Trade (-292 resident workforce)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+244 resident workforce)