Clarence Valley Council area
Resident workers - Occupations of employment
There are more resident workers (All industries) Professionals in Clarence Valley Council area than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of Clarence Valley Council area's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|Clarence Valley Council area||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||2,497||14.2||12.7||2,508||14.1||13.2||-11|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||2,424||13.8||10.4||2,355||13.3||9.5||+69|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||2,140||12.2||13.8||2,138||12.0||15.1||+2|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||1,301||7.4||6.1||1,286||7.2||6.4||+15|
|Inadequately described or not stated||295||1.7||1.8||299||1.7||1.8||-4|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in Clarence Valley Council area in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (2,703 people or 15.4%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (2,497 people or 14.2%)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (2,424 people or 13.8%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 7,624 people in total or 43.4% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, New South Wales employed 23.6% in Professionals; 12.7% in Technicians and Trades Workers and 10.4% in Community and Personal Service Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (All industries) of Clarence Valley Council area and New South Wales were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Professionals (15.4% compared to 23.6%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Labourers (12.8% compared to 8.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Community and Personal Service Workers (13.8% compared to 10.4%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Managers (11.7% compared to 13.5%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in Clarence Valley Council area decreased by 196 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in Clarence Valley Council area were those employed as:
- Labourers (-148 persons)
- Professionals (+139 persons)
- Managers (-130 persons)
- Sales Workers (-128 persons)