Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for City of Darebin's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in City of Darebin depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 and 2021 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|City of Darebin - All industries||2021||2016||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Victoria%||Number||%||Victoria%||2016 - 2021|
|1 hour - 15 hours||8,658||10.9||11.7||8,174||11.6||12.0||+484|
|16 hours - 24 hours||8,866||11.2||10.8||8,019||11.4||10.5||+847|
|25 hours - 34 hours||9,625||12.2||11.6||8,230||11.7||11.2||+1,395|
|35 hours - 39 hours||16,681||21.1||20.8||13,594||19.3||18.7||+3,087|
|41 hours - 48 hours||6,691||8.5||8.0||6,510||9.3||9.2||+181|
|49 hours or more||8,143||10.3||11.1||8,469||12.0||13.7||-326|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the City of Darebin's resident workers in 2021 compared to Victoria shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 39.5% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 59.0% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 39.1% and 59.2% respectively for Victoria.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of the City of Darebin and Victoria were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (10.9% compared to 11.7%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (12.2% compared to 11.6%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 41 hours - 48 hours (8.5% compared to 8.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (10.3% compared to 11.1%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in the City of Darebin increased by 4225 people (10.0%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in the City of Darebin between2016 and 2021 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+3,087 persons)
- None (+2,018 persons)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+1,395 persons)
- 40 hours (+1,283 persons)