City of Darebin
Resident workers - Hours worked
41.0% of the resident workers in the City of Darebin work 40 or more hours, compared to 42.4% in Victoria.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for the City of Darebin's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in the City of Darebin depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|City of Darebin||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Victoria%||Number||%||Victoria%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||8,174||11.6||12.0||6,759||10.6||11.4||+1,415||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||8,019||11.4||10.5||6,740||10.6||9.7||+1,279||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||8,230||11.7||11.2||6,692||10.5||10.1||+1,538||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||13,594||19.3||18.7||12,377||19.4||17.6||+1,217||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||6,510||9.3||9.2||6,576||10.3||10.2||-66||22007|
|49 hours or more||8,469||12.0||13.7||8,075||12.7||15.2||+394||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by the City of Darebin's resident workers in 2016 compared to Victoria shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 37.7% of the resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 60.4% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 37.0% and 61.1% respectively for Victoria.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers of the City of Darebin and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 16 hours - 24 hours (11.4% compared to 10.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (12.0% compared to 13.7%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in the City of Darebin increased by 2,781 people (7.0%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers in the City of Darebin between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+1,538 people)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+1,415 people)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+1,279 people)
- 40 hours (+1,236 people)