Occupation is a key component for evaluating the socio-economic status of the local workers and the skills required to work in each industry sector.
The occupations of the local workers in the City of Darebin will be influenced by factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available in the City of Darebin;
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry; and
- The working and social aspirations of the population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 & 2021 – by place of work
|Local workers occupations|
|City of Darebin - All industries||2021||2016||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Victoria||Number||%||Victoria||2016 - 2021|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||6,504||12.1||12.6||5,811||12.2||13.1||+693|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||7,662||14.2||11.0||6,200||13.0||10.6||+1,462|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||6,050||11.2||12.4||5,762||12.1||13.3||+288|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||3,060||5.7||5.9||2,914||6.1||5.8||+146|
|Inadequately described or not stated||939||1.7||2.0||778||1.6||1.7||+161|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the jobs held by the All industries workforce in the City of Darebin in 2021shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (13,583 local workers or 25.2%)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (7,662 local workers or 14.2%)
- Managers (6,817 local workers or 12.6%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 28,062 people in total or 52.0% of the All industries local workers.
In comparison, Victoria employed 25.0% as Professionals; 11.0% as Community and Personal Service Workers and 14.0% as Managers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the workforce in the City of Darebin and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Community and Personal Service Workers (14.2% compared to 11.0%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Sales Workers (10.1% compared to 8.4%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Labourers (7.2% compared to 8.8%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Managers (12.6% compared to 14.0%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the workforce in the City of Darebin between2016 and 2021 were those employed as:
- Professionals (+2,642 local workers)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+1,462 local workers)
- Managers (+890 local workers)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (+693 local workers)