Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among Glenelg Shire's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in Glenelg Shire or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of Glenelg Shire, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 and 2021 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|Glenelg Shire - Persons||2021||2016||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Victoria||Number||%||Victoria||2016 - 2021|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||84||1.0||2.6||68||0.8||2.4||+16|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||1,023||11.6||9.7||1,042||12.5||10.1||-19|
|Architecture and Building||356||4.0||4.6||355||4.3||4.6||+1|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||423||4.8||1.5||372||4.5||1.6||+51|
|Management and Commerce||698||7.9||15.8||620||7.5||15.0||+78|
|Society and Culture||676||7.7||9.6||582||7.0||8.9||+94|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||362||4.1||3.5||333||4.0||3.6||+29|
|Mixed Field Programmes||5||0.1||0.1||3||0.0||0.1||+2|
|Not stated or inadequately described||328||3.7||3.1||297||3.6||2.9||+31|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the field of qualifications in Glenelg Shire shows that the three largest fields the resident workers (All industries) were qualified in were:
- Engineering and Related Technologies (1,023 people or 11.6%)
- Health (735 people or 8.3%)
- Management and Commerce (698 people or 7.9%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 2,456 people in total or 27.8% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, Victoria employed 9.7% in Engineering and Related Technologies; 8.5% in Health and 15.8% in Management and Commerce.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers () of Glenelg Shire and Victoria were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Management and Commerce (7.9% compared to 15.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies (4.8% compared to 1.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Information Technology (0.6% compared to 3.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Creative Arts (1.1% compared to 3.6%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in Glenelg Shire increased by 524 between 2016 and 2021.
The largest change in the field of qualifications held by the resident workers (All industries) between 2016 and 2021 in Glenelg Shire was for those qualified in:
- Society and Culture (+94 resident workers)
- Health (+78 resident workers)
- Education (+78 resident workers)
- Management and Commerce (+78 resident workers)