41.6% of the resident workers (All industries) in Glenelg Shire work 40 or more hours, compared to 42.4% in Victoria.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Glenelg Shire's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Glenelg Shire depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Glenelg Shire - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Victoria%||Number||%||Victoria%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||1,095||13.2||12.0||1,192||13.5||11.4||-97|
|16 hours - 24 hours||924||11.1||10.5||861||9.8||9.7||+63|
|25 hours - 34 hours||1,009||12.1||11.2||957||10.9||10.1||+52|
|35 hours - 39 hours||1,185||14.3||18.7||1,287||14.6||17.6||-102|
|41 hours - 48 hours||767||9.2||9.2||863||9.8||10.2||-96|
|49 hours or more||1,395||16.8||13.7||1,504||17.1||15.2||-109|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by Glenelg Shire's resident workers in 2016 compared to Victoria shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 36.5% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 55.9% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 33.7% and 61.1% respectively for Victoria.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of Glenelg Shire and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked None (4.9% compared to 3.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (14.3% compared to 18.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (15.6% compared to 19.5%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (16.8% compared to 13.7%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in Glenelg Shire decreased by 441 people (-5.7%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in Glenelg Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 40 hours (-134 persons)
- 49 hours or more (-109 persons)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (-102 persons)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (-97 persons)