Gold Coast City
Resident workers - Field of qualification
There are more resident workers qualified in Management and Commerce in Gold Coast City than in any other field.
Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among Gold Coast City's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in Gold Coast City or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of Gold Coast City, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|Gold Coast City||2016||2011||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Queensland%||Number||%||Queensland%||2011 to 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||3,181||1.2||1.7||2,504||1.1||1.5||+677||30000||P|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||24,438||9.4||11.6||22,166||9.6||11.6||+2,272||50000||P|
|Architecture and Building||15,844||6.1||4.8||13,307||5.7||4.6||+2,537||60000||P|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||2,949||1.1||1.5||2,605||1.1||1.4||+344||70000||P|
|Management and Commerce||38,398||14.7||13.5||29,971||12.9||11.7||+8,427||91000||P|
|Society and Culture||20,758||8.0||7.9||15,233||6.6||6.6||+5,525||92000||P|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||13,549||5.2||4.0||11,744||5.1||3.7||+1,805||94000||P|
|Mixed Field Programmes||295||0.1||0.1||159||0.1||0.1||+136||95000||P|
|Not stated or inadequately described||6,419||2.5||2.6||7,451||3.2||3.3||-1,032||96000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the field of qualifications in Gold Coast City shows that the three largest fields the resident workers were qualified in were:
- Management and Commerce (38,398 people or 14.7%)
- Engineering and Related Technologies (24,438 people or 9.4%)
- Society and Culture (20,758 people or 8.0%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 83,594 people in total or 32.1% of the resident workers .
In comparison, Queensland employed 13.5% in Management and Commerce; 11.6% in Engineering and Related Technologies; and 7.9% in Society and Culture.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers of Gold Coast City and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers qualified in Architecture and Building (6.1% compared to 4.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers qualified in Food, Hospitality and Personal Services (5.2% compared to 4.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers qualified in Management and Commerce (14.7% compared to 13.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies (9.4% compared to 11.6%)
The number of resident workers in Gold Coast City increased by 28,910 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest changes in the field of qualifications held by the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in Gold Coast City were for those qualified in:
- Management and Commerce (+8,427 people)
- Society and Culture (+5,525 people)
- Health (+5,478 people)
- Architecture and Building (+2,537 people)