Gold Coast City
Resident workers - Hours worked
41.4% of the resident workers in Gold Coast City work 40 or more hours, compared to 43.2% in Queensland.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Gold Coast City's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Gold Coast City depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Gold Coast City||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Queensland%||Number||%||Queensland%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||30,303||11.6||11.0||26,643||11.5||10.4||+3,660||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||26,647||10.2||9.4||22,585||9.7||8.8||+4,062||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||34,921||13.4||12.0||28,986||12.5||10.8||+5,935||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||48,429||18.6||19.2||39,686||17.1||18.1||+8,743||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||22,325||8.6||9.4||21,896||9.5||10.5||+429||22007|
|49 hours or more||39,990||15.3||16.6||38,904||16.8||18.4||+1,086||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by Gold Coast City's resident workers in 2016 compared to Queensland shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 38.2% of the resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 59.9% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 35.8% and 62.4% respectively for Queensland.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers of Gold Coast City and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (13.4% compared to 12.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 16 hours - 24 hours (10.2% compared to 9.4%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (15.3% compared to 16.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 41 hours - 48 hours (8.6% compared to 9.4%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in Gold Coast City increased by 15,708 people (11.2%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers in Gold Coast City between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+8,743 people)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+5,935 people)
- 40 hours (+5,450 people)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+4,062 people)